Wednesday, January 7, 2009

TTM - Charlie Hough

Yes Steve this will be the 2nd autograph I am sending you. I'm just gonna start by saying that because I'm a lazy bastard and I still haven't mailed out my packages that I have set to go. And with Horrorfest going on right now I'm not sure when I will be able to get them out but I promise, everyone who has cards set aside by me, they will be mailed.

Now on to Mr. Hough. Charlie Hough was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1966 amateur draft out of Hialeah High School. He pitched in the low minor leagues of the Dodgers organization from 1967 -1969 with minimal success. During spring training in 1970 however he learned how to throw a knuckleball and his career immediately took a turn for the better. He led the Spokane Indians and the whole Pacific Coast League in saves and posted a 1.95 ERA.

He made his Major League debut on August 12, 1970 against the Pittsburgh Pirates, pitching 1/3 an inning with a walk and a strikeout to earn his first save. He didn't join the Dodgers bullpen on a full-time basis until 1973. He became a top reliever for the Dodgers until he was sold to the Texas Rangers in 1980. While with the Dodgers he has the distinction of being one of the pitchers to give up a home run to Reggie Jackson in game 6 of the 1977 World Series where Reggie hit three home runs in one game.

In Texas he was converted to a starting pitcher. He pitched for the Rangers from 1980 to 1990, making his first and only All-Star appearance in 1986. He left Texas as the leader in wins, strikeouts, complete games and losses. He was well known for throwing complete games and in 1984 finished the season with 17 complete games.

At the age of 43, in 1991, Charlie joined the Chicago White Sox where he pitched for two years. In 1993 he joined the expansion Florida Marlins and was the first starting pitcher for the team. He retired at the age of 46 after the 1994 season. He finished his playing career with a record of 216-216 with 2362 strikeouts, and a 3.75 ERA over 3801 and a third innings.

1 comment:

Steve Gierman said...

I can definitely wait for the autos. I can't wait to see what awesome movie is next for Horrorfest! Great selection so far.

I watched Last House On The Left Tuesday night. I think I'll pop in Army Of Darkness, since you've got me in an Evil Dead type of mood.